Below is a recommended travel packing list for a sailing voyage.
See bottom of page for Diving Holiday Kit List
- Sailing Instruction
- Safety Equipment (Life jackets and harnesses)
- All meals to include cooked breakfast, lunch, dinner and refreshments throughout the day.
- Bed linen, duvet, towels for cabin (but please bring your own beach towel)
What is Not Included
- Waterproof jacket and trousers
- Travel to and from the start and end port
- Optional trips or tours taken ashore unless otherwise stated
- Alcoholic Beverages , but you can purchase drinks from the bar (you can set up a tab and pay at the end).
What to Bring
For any destination north of Cape Verde warm and waterproof clothing is very important, as it can get cold during sailing, especially at night, even in the summer. A waterproof and windproof jacket is recommended to help keep warm and dry. Waterproof rubber soled boots or shoes are also recommended to keep your feet dry and warm. It is a good idea to bring two pairs of shoes in case one gets wet as salt water soaked shoes take a while to dry.
Madeira, Portugal and the Azores in summer can get pretty hot and it is easy to get sunburn at sea as the air is clear. The Cape Verde are in a tropical climate so a good sun screen is essential.
Please remember that space on board is limited and pack accordingly. Pack comfortable and practical clothing for all weather circumstances, the key is layers!! It is recommended to pack in a soft bag that can be easily stored away as there is no room on board for suitcases. Electricity on board is European 2 pin sockets, please be sure to bring any adaptors you may need.
Passports, Visas and Insurance
If you voyage is sailing in foreign waters, you will require a full passport that is valid for at least 6 months after the end of the voyage. You will be responsible for obtaining any necessary visas.
We have Third Party Liability Insurance and recommend all those sailing with us to take out relevant travel insurance to cover their voyage.
Medical Conditions and Special Diets
Please inform us in advance of any medical conditions you have and medication which you might need to bring with you. If you have any special dietary requirements it is essential you inform us prior to your voyage. We will make every effort to cater for all diets with prior notice.
This is a list of the items we recommend you bring with you.
- Warm hat and sun hat
- gloves - either sailing gloves or gardening type gloves
- Wet weather clothing – water proof and windproof jacket
- Clothing – enough clothing for all weather circumstances (think layers!!)
- Trainers or deck shoes
- shorts and t shirts
- nightwear (ear plugs ?)
- swimwear (googles are useful)
- Sun cream
- Sea sickness medication
- Personal medication
- Small torch (head torches are good!)
- Log book (if you have one)
- Valid passport (voyages outside the UK)
- Travel insurance
- Musical instruments
- games or cards
You can buy Santa Maria Manuela caps on board.
Diving Holidays on Santa Maria Manuela - Kit List
Please note the ship will only be carrying scuba diving equipment on the specialist diving voyages.
On a diving voyage - Bottles and weights are included in the voyage price.
If you need diving equipment other than bottles and weights it is €150 extra
Nitrox costs €5 euros a dive
Classic Sailing will expand on this kit list shortly.